Here’s my initial sketch idea that I did of my final scene:
Here’s all of my assets arranged together to create the final scene:
I did use my original layout sketch as a guide, but didn’t stick to it religiously. I tried to place the assets around the scene so they weren’t all positioned too close together and so that they would stand out still.
Overall, I’m really pleased with how my final scene looks. I really like how the lighting that I have used creates shadows on the ground – especially from the tall trees. I feel like this helps to give my scene a spooky atmosphere.
I decided to use quite a lot of my Tree and Mushroom assets in my final scene to help create a woodland scene, instead of just having one each of these assets which would look slightly boring. When doing this, I made them all various sizes and shapes to try and make them all look different even though I was duplicating the same asset.
Here’s a few examples of textures I used on my Assets:
When adding the textures, I mostly used the programme ‘Substance Painter’. This seemed fairly easy to use, and I managed to find some great looking textures on there.
Both the Broomstick (4) and the Log Cabin (3) are great examples of using a wood-style texture on Substance Painter. I like how the wood textures are very grainy giving quite a realistic texture appearance. The surfaces of these are also Matt, so I had to take this into consideration when adding the lighting to my assets ready for rendering.
The Cauldron (1) is probably my favourite asset texture (I also used the exact same texture on my Ladle asset which helped to make the Cauldron and Ladle match). I used one of the metal textures on Substance Painter, and I feel like it gives my asset a really effective look. This is helped by the fact that it is a very reflective surface so this looks great when the lighting is added. On the Cauldron I also like how it is slightly grainy – I feel this helps to make the asset look old and like it has been used many times.
Finally, my Cat (2) assets shows how you can add a texture just by using blocks of colour in Maya. I originally wanted to use a hair/fur texture but couldn’t seem to find anything that would be suitable so I decided to just add various colours to it. I feel like this helps it look much more stylised.
Once I’d settled upon my theme of Halloween Woodlands and the assets for it, I decided to go out and explore a local woods and take some photos.
I tried to get some ideas of the general look and layout of the woods which you can see in photo 1. This helped me in designing the layout of my final scene animation.
Photo 2 helped in regards to creating the shapes of the tree roots on my tree asset in Maya. I noticed how they aren’t uniform at all – they are all different sizes and shapes.
Finally, I used photo 3 as inspiration when adding the wood texture onto my tree asset. Though my final design didn’t look quite as realistic and rough textured as this, I did try to aim for a more stylised look on my asset and I am pleased with my finished result.
I decided upon 10 assets for my Halloween Woodland theme, these were: Broomstick, Cat, Cauldron, Ladle, Log Cabin, Mushrooms, Pumpkin, Skull, Tree and a Witches Hat.
I then decided to do some bigger sketches of each asset, these would go onto helping me when I produced the final assets in Maya. I didn’t end up using any other images or objects as references, just the sketches and I designed them to a style that I thought up of. I feel like this has helped in giving my assets a unique and stylised look as opposed to if I had designed my assets from photos of actual objects, they would have probably looked more realistic, which isn’t the style that I wanted.
As I stated in my previous blogpost, I ended up settling upon a ‘Halloween Woodland’ theme for my assets. Once I had chosen this theme, I wrote down some words that I could think of that were associated with both the words ‘Halloween’ and ‘Woodland’:
This really helped me in deciding upon my 10 Assets. I went through each idea and thought about how easily I’d be able to create it in Maya, I also thought about whether the asset would look visually appealing and if I’d be able to add an interesting texture to it.
When I first started to do this project, I initially wanted to do a Woodland theme. Here’s a few ideas which I sketched initially when starting the assignment:
After coming up with these ideas, I experimented on Maya and tried to make some of these ideas into assets, though I soon realised that I would struggle quite a bit to make the woodland animals into assets, due to the complicated shapes of animals and that I am a complete beginner with Maya, I thought that this would be too complicated and time consuming. Therefore, I decided against doing these animals as assets (Although I did end up creating a black cat as one of my final assets).
However, I did manage to make a tree, mushroom and log cabin on Maya, which were inspired by these preliminary ideas and I have ended up using these as some of my final assets, though the designs of them have changed slightly compared to these initial sketches.
I then decided that a general ‘Woodland’ theme wouldn’t have that many potential assets that I’d be able to create so I decided to incorporate the idea of turning it into a ‘Halloween Woodland’ theme instead.