Rendering, Final Stages and Evaluation

Rendering 

Once my scenes were created, and all assets were animated it was time to begin the rendering process. As my piece consisted of three scenes, I decided to have each scene be 40 seconds long because the specified minimum length of the entire video was 2 minutes (120 seconds). It was also specified that it needed to be 24FPS which meant that each scene had 960 frames, meaning a total of 2880 frames were to be rendered.  

I decided to render each scene separately as I knew from doing a test render that it was going to take a long time and this way I would be able to control any problems should they appear. On average each render of each scene containing 960 frames took about 2 days, meaning the entire thing took me about 6 days to render. I felt that this was very excessive, and much longer than I was anticipating but luckily I did plan enough time for the rendering process meaning I didn’t miss any deadlines. I had to render using my own computer and due to it being a MacBook, I wasn’t able to change the CPU settings to GPU as was recommended, this may be a reason why the process took me so long. I also wasn’t able to access any of the university computers remotely to use the render farm as they had revoked access to the digital media computers and the regular ones weren’t installed with Maya. Also, as I was rendering them straight onto my computer, it also took up a lot of storage space. 

Final Stages

Some screenshots showing my final stages of creating the video and audio using Premier Pro and Audition

Next, using Premier Pro, I compiled all of the rendered frames. I created some ‘bins’ to separate each scene so it would be more organised. I then began moving the frames from each scene onto the timeline, at first the frames didn’t go in the correct order and then I realised it was because I hadn’t sorted them in the bins by ‘name’ so I was able to rectify this and then it worked. Between each scene, I then added a fade transition effect in between the clips. This was to help the transportation between the scenes seem more realistic, especially as it was supposed to look like the user is going through a door into each scene. 

After exporting the video, ensuring all of the settings were correct for a VR video, I then went onto Adobe Audition ready to create the binaural audio. I managed to source some sound effects which I thought would be relevant for my piece (these are referenced below). I then positioned each sound effect onto the relevant part of the videos timeline, and then went through and began converting them to binaural using the ‘dearVR micro’ application. I then added a fade effect to some of the clips so that they didn’t cut off too abruptly. I also did some mixing where I was able to sort out some clipping issues where the audio was peaking which made everything sound much better. I then exported the binaural files and compiled both the rendered video and binaural file into Premier Pro and exported it as the final video. I then uploaded it to Youtube and tried out the video using Google Cardboard to check that everything was working okay. 

Evaluation

Overall I found the process okay but very time consuming. I did end up enjoying some aspects more than I was expecting to such as designing the scenes and doing the binaural audio. I did go into this project expecting that I wouldn’t be able to create that many of my own assets, but in the end I managed to create the vast majority myself which I am glad about. I also thought that I would find the binaural audio difficult, as I have never edited any kind of audio before, but I actually found this part to be quite enjoyable and interesting. However, as stated, it took such a large amount of time to do the rendering which made things quite difficult as I wasn’t able to go onto Maya and get the next scene ready whilst it was rendering, I just had to wait for it which was a shame.

References for audio

Knocking on the door: ERH (n.d.) Knocking on door [Audio]. Available online: https://soundbible.com/1196-Knocking-On-Door.html#google_vignette [Accessed 7/12/21].

Pumpkin appearing sound effect: Koenig, M (n.d.) Pop cork [Audio]. Available online: https://soundbible.com/533-Pop-Cork.html [Accessed 7/12/21].

Ghost sound effect: Simion, D (n.d.) Creepy background [Audio]. Available online: https://soundbible.com/2165-Creepy-Background.html [Accessed 7/12/21].

Skeleton clattering sound effect: Koenig, M (n.d.) Spooky chains [Audio]. Available online: https://soundbible.com/1094-Spooky-Chains.html [Accessed 7/12/21].

Creaking door: stephan (n.d.) Creaking door spooky [Audio]. Available online: https://soundbible.com/1717-Creaking-Door-Spooky.html [Accessed 7/12/21].

Floor moving: Benboncan (n.d.) Rock slide [Audio]. Available online: https://soundbible.com/904-Rock-Slide.html [Accessed 7/12/21].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *